Founded in 1232 and converted into a country house around 1540, the fine medieval cloisters, sacristy, chapter house and monastic rooms of the Abbey have survived largely intact. The handsome 16th-century stable courtyard includes a clockhouse, brewery and bakehouse. The Photographic Museum commemorates the achievements of a former resident of the Abbey, William Henry Fox Talbot (1800-77), inventor of the negative/positive photographic process, whose descendants gave the Abbey and village to the Trust in 1944.
Fox Lacock village, which dates from the 13th century and has many limewashed half-timbered and stone houses, was used as a location in the TV and film productions of Pride and Prejudice, Moll Flanders and Emma.
The Abbey itself featured in the recent Harry Potter films as well as the TV adaptation of Wolf Hall.