Originally opened in 1907 (and called Strand Station), Aldwych is located in London’s borough of Westminster. The above-ground entrance is close to the junction between Strand (hence the original name) and Surrey Street, and is Grade II listed.
It was never a popular station, and because it only opened peak hours on weekdays, it became a popular film location.
It was closed in 1994.
During WWII it was used as both an air-raid shelter (ironic considering its appearance in Atonement) and to store items from the British Museum.
London Transport Museum occasionally hold tours of the old station.